Sunday, April 1, 2012

Small Achievements


My biggest success so far occurred last year, from 5 May and 8 of May. During these three days I have completely disassembled my toilet then put it together again in working condition. Still gives me a little glow of satisfaction to see my handy work.

This May not seem like a big deal for you, but I am a woman in my mid-sixties, which completely lacks the do-it-yourself experience. It all started when I decided that my bathroom tiles. The obstacle is in front of my toilet. It had to be completely removed so that the tiles can be laid underneath. My plan was to make an appointment with a plumber for an estimate. But when I stopped off at the library book sale, black and free publications about the plumbing looked at me in the face. I bought it on impulse. After I looked through the book, I discovered that it was not a big deal around the toilet. Basically, it's just a collection of porcelain parts screwed together in a logical manner. Himself says, "I do", I gathered some tools and started. It looked easy in principle, in reality it is hard going.

From toilet sitting very close to where he was a man of rubber around and disconnect the water supply. One piece that should come free easily glued instead of screwed together. I had to buy a hacksaw to cut free. The following steps are smooth and easy: toilet tank came off and floor bolts out effort. But this ceramic intestine weighed more than fifty pounds. This is a job, maneuvering it through the bathroom door. Last but not least was the unpleasant job of cleaning out old, sticky, blackened wax ring installed in the bottom of the toilet bowl. This paragraph seals the bowl above the sewer opening in the floor.

After the tile is laid and grouted, it was time to get back into the toilet. I was a big improvement when I discovered that I was missing a small rubber ring that creates a seal between the toilet bowl and water (this is called a donut). I mistakenly put it. I went to the hardware store to buy a replacement, but did not carry the exact model. Clerk sold me a one-size-fits-all brand. It took me over an hour to figure out how to make a new ring they see fit. In the end I was all back in place and bolted down. With concern I pressed the flush handle. The water swirled down the bowl and then ran to the mailbox just as is supposed to do. Nothing leaked. I danced a little jig.

For this triumph I learned I could complete the tasks of intimidation following the instructions step by step. I learned how to get personal satisfaction from using your hands for mechanical tasks. I have learned never to throw away part if you buy a replacement first. Most importantly, I crossed my limits. If I can do it, so can you.

Janssen is Sybal Registered Success Team. She leads workshops and facilitates the success of the team based on the training model developed Barbara Sher, a leading authority on goal achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment